Frequently Asked Questions

How much does ECULA cost?

ECULA costs $5,900 per semester. This amount includes tuition, books, health and accident insurance, and various fees (student activities, laboratory, bus transportation, health center, and campus recreation).

How much does it cost to live in Greenville?

There are many affordable housing options in Greenville. You should first ask yourself if you would like to live on campus or off campus. Both options have benefits; which one you choose will depend on your lifestyle. The fee for on-campus housing, including meals, is $6,020 per semester. Off-campus housing varies greatly in price depending on if you want to rent a room or an apartment, or if you plan to live alone or with roommates.

How long is the program?

The length of the program depends on what level you test into and if you pass your classes at the end of the semester. There are three (3) levels in the program with each level lasting a semester, so if you test into the lowest level, you will be here for three semesters. Failing a level will also impact the duration of your stay.

How does ECULA’s cost compare to other programs?

Studying in another country is definitely expensive, but it’s an investment in your future. If you compare ECULA’s Intensive English Program to other similar programs, you will find that it’s actually quite reasonably priced. Remember, too, that the tuition includes ALL costs associated with your educational experience here, and that the program offers an intensive schedule of over 20 hours per week.  Every program is different, so another program’s cost may not include all the wonderful experiences that ECULA provides.

Are there scholarships available?

Unfortunately, there are no scholarships available for the Intensive English Program. You are encouraged to research scholarship opportunities in your home country if you need financial assistance.

Does ECULA offer an I-20?

Yes. After you complete ECULA’s Intensive English Program application and submit all the required paperwork, including the Confidential Financial Information Form, you will be sent an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form by international post. You will not be able to apply for an F-1 student visa without an I-20.

How do I get a visa?

Please remember that F-1 student visas are issued by the U.S. government, not the school you plan to attend.

To get a visa to study in the Intensive English Program, you first need to apply and to submit all required paperwork. Once all documents have been received, the Intensive English Program will send you an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form. Once you have this form, you can apply at your nearest U.S. Consulate for an F-1 visa.

Your visa appointment is something you should definitely plan ahead for; it’s not something to leave for the last minute. In some cases, it can take weeks or even months to secure a visa appointment.

Can I work while I study?

Yes! As an F-1 student visa holder, you can work up to 20 hours per week on campus. Our intensive English students currently have 100% job placement with our student employment partners.
Please note, these jobs are for an hourly wage. They cannot be secured prior to arrival to ECULA and your intention to work while you study cannot count towards the financial evidence required to issue a Form I-20. Additionally, any job secured while you study should be to work outside your scheduled class times.

Why do I need to take a placement test?

Before beginning courses, you will be given a placement test so that we can put you in the level that best fits your needs. There is no “good” or “bad” level; all levels are equally beneficial and will help you in your acquisition of English.

I took English classes in another language program. Why am I in a lower level than I was at the other program?

Every program is different, and each one evaluates student progress in different ways. For example, Level 1 at your previous school may not be equal to Level 1 at ECULA. Because of this, ECULA cannot accept proof of study at another institution as a substitute for attending classes in the Intensive English Program.