Traveling Abroad: Information

Faculty/Staff international travel reminders


Do you have a passport?

Apply for a passport or renew an out of date passport well in advance of your trip. More information is available at:

The State Department Passport Information

Do you need a visa?

Check to see if you need a visa to enter the country you are visiting. Entry and exit information is available for specific countries at:

The State Department VISA Information

Do you have proper health insurance?

Your ECU employee insurance may only cover your health care expenses at an out-of-network rate while you are overseas and it may not cover some essential international services. It is recommended that you purchase travel insurance through UNC System provider GeoBlue. More information can be found on the GeoBlue brochure. To sign up visit the online request form.

Do you need vaccinations?

For some destinations a vaccination may be required or highly encouraged. ECU’s Division of Infectious Diseases and International Travel Health provides vaccinations as well pre-travel counseling for the international traveler. The Center for Disease Control’s travel website is another good source of current information on global health.

Do you need a travel advance?

A travel advance may be available under certain circumstances. If you intend to apply please see pages 68-71 in the Travel Manual for more detail. Travel advance requests must be completed at least 14 days prior to travel.

What precautions should you take?

It is recommended that all United States citizens register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) before traveling abroad. Registering in STEP will help the local Embassy locate you during an emergency and give you access to timely information.

What other travel information is available?

Before departure you should check final travel information at the U.S. Department of State’s travel website. This website is updated daily to provide the most up to date information, tips and travel warnings for those traveling abroad.

Remember to keep your receipts! Make sure to catalog all of your university related expenditures. All receipts received during your travel must be kept for proper and timely reimbursement.