Jasmine – Japan

May 19, 2024

Blog 1

Hello! My name is Jasmine, and I am a freshman at ECU. I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Psychology.

I am super excited to share my experience in Japan for the Culture and Psychology trip. On this trip, I hope to learn how the culture functions and how different it is from my home country. Additionally, I hope to apply this knowledge to become more culturally competent to develop the skills needed for my career in the criminal justice system.

Before my trip, I have done quite a hit of surface level research. I have watched many tourist videos on social media that provide useful suggestions on how to behave in the country. For example, not eating or drinking while walking, not tipping at a restaurant, and making sure to keep mind of my volume in certain areas. Additionally, I used Duo-lingo to help me learn some basic phrases to better navigate my way when needed.

I am most exited to immerse myself in a new setting and explore the country. I am primarily concerned with the food. I can be a bit picky when deciding what to eat and if I don’t like my food, I’ll probably be in a bad mood for the rest of that day. That being said, I scarcely try new foods. I love Japanese food from what I have tried in the US, but there’s only one dish I normally order, and it probably isn’t as authentic as I tell myself it is. In order to overcome this challenge, I am going to try my best to approach each setting with an open mind and do my best to understand what is in each dish so I can know what I’m getting myself into.

Backpack with Visa
Backpack