Maintaining Your Status

An F-1 visa allows a student from another nation to enter the United States to study in an academic program. If you are studying at ECU on an F-1 visa, you must comply with U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requirements, as well as University requirements.

Enrollment Requirements

F-1 students are required to maintain full-time student status.

In certain situations, you can request to drop below a full course load. For example, if you are in your last semester before graduation, working on a dissertation, or have a qualifying emergency.

Inform ECU of any Change in Program

Your Form I-20 must accurately reflect your current status as a student. You are responsible for keeping it up to date. if you change your academic program in any way, please inform the Office of Global Affairs.

Your I-20 will need to be changed and updated before any of the following:

  • Change of major
  • Graduating from your academic program
  • Change of level (e.g., from undergraduate to graduate study)
  • Extending your F-1 immigration status
  • Dropping below full-time enrollment
  • Cancelling enrollment